- [S423] #560  The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester Compiled from Original Evidences in Public Offices, the Harleian and Cottonian Mss., Parochial Registers, Private Muniments, Unpublished Ms. Collections of Successive Cheshire An, Ormerod, George, (2nd edition. 3volumes. London: G. Routledge, 1882), FHL microfilm 547521 Item 2., vol. 2 p. 415.
- [S26] #733 East Cheshire, Past and Present, Or, a History of the Hundred of Macclesfield in the County Palatine of Chester - from Original Records (1877-1880), Earwaker, J. P. (John Parsons), (2 volumes in 4 parts. London: [s.n.], 1877-1880 (London: Wyman and Sons).), FHL book 942.71 H2ear; FHL microfilm 994,030 item ., vol. 2 pt. 2 p. 602.
- [S1850] Medieval Lands: A Prosopography of Medieval European Noble and Royal Families, Charles Cawley, (http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/), England, Earls - creations 1138-1143 [accessed 28 Jun 2006].
- [S1985] #2142 The Visitation of Cheshire in the Year 1580 ... (1882), Rylands, J. Paul (John Paul), (London: [s.n.], 1882.), FHL microfilm 162,051 item 2., p. 212.
- [S25] #798 The Wallop Family and Their Ancestry, Watney, Vernon James, (4 volumes. Oxford: John Johnson, 1928), FHL book Q 929.242 W159w; FHL microfilm 1696491 it., vol. 3 p. 719.
- [S137] #245 [1735 edition] The Peerage of England: Containing a Genealogical and Historical Account of All the Peers of England, Now Existing, Either by Tenure, Summons or Creation, Their Descents and Colateral Lines, Their Births, Marriages (1735), Collins, Arthur, (3 volumes. London: R. Gosling and T. Wotton, 1735), FHL microfilms 845,186-845,187., vol. 2 p. 440.
"John was Lord of Stanley and Stourton, and married Mabil, daughter of Sir James Hawsket, Knt."
- [S124] #240 Collins's Peerage of England, Genealogical, Biographical, and Historical, Greatly Augmented, and Continued to the Present Time (1812), Brydges, Sir Egerton,, (9 volumes. London: [T. Bensley], 1812), FHL book 942 D22be., vol. 3 p. 51.